For 40GB (model# CECHH01), 80GB (CECHK01, CECHL01), and 160GB (CECHP01) only
Required Replacement Screws
- Four flat head screws that attach the hard drive to the metal frame: M3 x 4 x 0.5mm thread pitch
- One flat head blue screw: M3 x 4 x 0.5mm thread pitch
Replacing the HDD
- Turn off the PS3 by touching the power button on the system front for at least two seconds. The power indicator will turn solid red and the system will enter standby mode.
- Turn off the system using the main power switch on the system rear.
- Unplug the AC power cord, and then detach the other cables from the system. For safety reasons, remove the plug for the power cord from the electrical outlet, and then detach the other cables.
- Remove the HDD bay cover on the system’s left side. Use the space at the left edge of the HDD bay cover to pull it out from the system. If the cover is difficult to remove, gently insert a small screwdriver in the space and pry the cover off. Be careful not to damage the system or the cover when using a screwdriver.
- Free the hard disk from the system.
- Remove the blue screw with an appropriate crosshead screwdriver. (Be careful when removing the blue screw and use the correct size screwdriver, as it may become stripped if forcing the screw out.)
- Pull the handle forward. Pull while sliding the handle to the left. Be careful not to hurt yourself during this operation.
- Remove the hard disk from the system. Pull the handle farther to remove the hard disk from the system.
- Now you must remove the hard drive from the metal frame. Use a crosshead screwdriver to remove the screws (4 places).
- Remove the hard disk from the metal frame.
- Place the replacement hard disk on the PS3 system hard disk’s metal frame, and then attach using the screws (4 places). Do not overtighten the screws.
- Install the hard disk in the system. Fully insert the hard disk in the HDD bay. Attach the blue screw to lock the hard disk in place. Refer to step 6 from above and go in reverse order when installing.
- Reattach the HDD bay cover.
- Turn on the PS3 system. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform initial setup.
- Reinstall the system software. Instructions on reinstalling the system software.